…because these freshly baked soybean cornbreads go really well with hot cream stew. I had to share this. 🙂 You gotta try it!!!
Canned Sweet Corn (or 2 fresh corn cobs) 200g
Bread Flour 125g
Soybean Flour 150g
Unsalted Butter (melted) 60g plus extra for greasing
Whole Eggs 2
Baking Powder 1 tbsp
Salt 1 tsp
1. Prepare all the ingredients and baking equipment. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a 23cm (9in) round cake pan.
2. Scrape the kernels off the cobs or drain off the liquid from the canned sweet corn.
3. Sift the flour, soybean flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into a large bowl.
Add the corn.
4. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and melted butter.
5. Pour the milk mixture into the flour mixture 3 times and stir until well combined.
6. Carefully pour the batter into the cake pan. Quickly brush the top with butter.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until a skewer or toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.
8. Let it cool slightly on a wire rack then slice.
9. Serve warm with maple syrup or with yummy cream stew. 🙂
So here’s my version of …
Japanese Cream Stew
- Japanese Hokkaido Cream Stew Roux (cream sauce from scratch, check the recipe below) 90g
- Fresh Milk 1-2 cups
- Pork Belly (or chicken) opt
- Carrot 1
- Potato 1
- Broccoli 1
- Mushroom 50g
- Yellow Paprika 1
- Consommé Granules or Powder 1-2 tbsp
- Onion 1
- Garlic Powder & Pepper
1. Start by cutting up the pork into bite size pieces, as well as all the vegetables.
2. Heat some olive oil in a saucepan, sauté pork until slightly brown. Add the onions and dash some pepper and garlic powder. Stir. Put the carrots and potatoes too if you want them a bit softer. Add about 1/2 cup water and let it simmer for a few minutes.
3. Pour milk and wait until it boils. Add the cream stew roux and stir until well combined.
4. Add the broccoli, paprika and mushrooms. Cover and cook. The sauce should be creamy. Serve hot.
Note: if you want to make your cream sauce from scratch, try this recipe.
- Flour 2 tbsp
- Milk or Heavy Cream 1-2 cups
- Butter 2 tbsp
- Cheese 2 tbsp
- Consommé (stock) Granules 1-2 tbsp
In a saucepan, melt butter on low heat and gently stir in flour. Mix it well and cook until it bubbles. Pour milk or cream, stirring quickly until sauce begins to thicken. Add some consommé granules and cheese. Stir just until melted and smooth.
Have a good day!!!
♡ ♡ ♡