I made this cake for my husband for Father’s Day. This combines his two favorite things on the planet – Avocado and Chocolate. Haha. Glad he loved it!
🙂 🙂 🙂
The vegan chocolate cake is rich, dense and moist. It honestly tastes just like normal chocolate cake – you’d never guess that it’s free from dairy products and eggs. Did you know that you can substitute avocado for the oil and butter in a recipe to add nutrition, cut back on fat and calories, and give baked goods a deliciously soft texture? Yea, I can see that err look on your face but I must say that it’s true because this avocado chocolate cake turned out so perfectly good!
– 1 medium avocado, mashed
– 1/4 cup pecans, crushed
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 7 tbsp cocoa powder, unsweetened
– 2 tsp baking powder
– 2 tsp baking soda
– 1/2 tsp salt
– 2 cups granulated sugar
– 2 cups water
– 1/4 cup avocado oil
– 2 tbsp white vinegar
– 3 tsp vanilla extract
– 2 medium avocados, mashed
– 380 g powdered sugar, sifted
– 2 tsp lemon juice
– 1 tsp vanilla extract
– whole pecans
– almond nuts (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients together in another bowl, including the super mashed avocado.
4. Add sugar into the wet mix and stir.
5. Mix the wet with the dry all at once, add the crushed pecans and mix until well combined.
6. Pour batter into greased cake tins. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
7. Let cakes cool in pan for 15 minutes, then turn out onto cooling racks to cool completely before frosting. Trim off the rounded top of the cake to make level.
1. Using a stand mixer (fit with the whisk attachment), whisk the avocado and lemon juice on medium speed, until slightly lightened in color and smooth.
2. Add the powdered sugar a little at a time. Add vanilla extract and mix until fully incorporated.
Store in the fridge if not using right away.
Place the 1st layer of the cake on a cake plate or turntable. Put an even layer of avocado frosting then carefully put the 2nd cake layer and repeat the process. Top with some nuts!
Vegans love cakes, too!
♡ ♡ ♡