Simple and delicious! Learn how to make cabbage rolls – cabbage leaves stuffed with ground meat covered in a sweet and tangy tomato sauce.
12 cabbage leaves
500g lean ground beef
1 onion, minced
freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp salt
3 tbsp milk
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 Knorr beef bouillon / consommé
1/4 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp paprika powder
1 can tomato sauce
1 tbsp rice wine
1 tbsp white cheese, chopped
1/2 cup cream
1. Heat the pan with olive oil on medium heat and sauté the minced onions until softened.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Blanch the cabbage leaves until they are pliable; Refresh (soak the cabbage leaves in iced water) and drain.
3. In a large bowl, combine the meat, sautéed onions, egg, panko, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well with a rubber spatula or with your clean hands.
4. Divide meat mixture into 12 equal parts. Put 1 part of meat mixture on each cabbage leaf. Roll carefully but not too tightly. Be sure to tuck in the sides of the leaves so the filling will not fall out or insert a toothpick to seal and secure the edge (optional). Repeat with the remaining leaves and stuffing.
5. In a large pot, combine tomato sauce, brown sugar, beef bouillon, rice wine, thyme, paprika powder, garlic powder, pepper and cream. Mix until the beef bouillon dissolves. Place the cabbage rolls, cover and simmer for about 40-45 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese all over the rolls.
Many thanks to the warm, friendly and talented Food Photographer – Justin De Jesus – for collaborating and working with me in this food experimental pursuits. You can check out his craft and works below: