Filipino Beef Stew with Chocolate – Pinoy dish with a twist!
Ingredients (serves 5)
900 grams beef brisket, cut into 2″ cubes
70 grams liver pâté or spread
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 large onion, diced
1 can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
40 grams plain not-too-sweet chocolate or tsokolateng tablea (you may want to add some sugar for using tablea in this recipe)
2 potatoes, sliced
2 carrots, sliced
2 bell peppers or capsicums (red and yellow), sliced
½ cup green peas or edamame beans
2 pcs laurel leaves
dried chilis (optional)
1 tbsp cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. In a pressure cooker with heated cooking oil, sauté the garlic and onion then add the beef and cook until slightly brown.
2. Add the laurel leaves, crushed pepper and dried chili.
3. Add the liver spread, tomato sauce and water. Mix until well incorporated. Cook until meat is tender (30-40 minutes in a pressure cooker)
4. Add potato and carrots. Simmer for about 10 minutes.
5. Add the chocolate and stir.
6. Add the bell peppers and green peas, cook for a few minutes more (add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste).